By Cheyann Boyer
Do you have a special event coming up? Do you want your skin to be tighter, look more youthful, and have less acne, discoloration or a more even skin tone? Then a medical grade chemical peel might be the best solution for your skin needs. But wait, before you pick up that phone to make your appointment just days before getting married, your high school reunion or boarding the plane for your dream vacation, here are some details to consider:
What is a chemical peel?
- A chemical peel is an acid or combination of acids (some examples are glycolic, salicylic, mandelic and lactic) formulated to quickly change the pH of your skin causing it to exfoliate and shed off revealing new skin, reducing damage and repairing the breakdown of collagen.
Will I peel?
- Though it is called a chemical peel, not all peels are formulated to visibly peel and that’s okay. Chemical peels vary in strength and can range from no visible signs of exfoliation up to 2 weeks of sheeting and healing. When choosing which peel will suit your needs it really depends on a few factors.
- Your dedication to down time. Can you take a week off work to heal or do you need to be back at the office in an hour?
- Your budget. How much do you want to spend? Can you afford a higher price tag 2 or 3 times, or do you need to spread that out over 6 months to 1 year?
- The preparedness of your skin. Is the first treatment you have had? Are you on a home regiment that has prepped your skin? Are you willing to do your part at home to prep before and heal after your peel?
- Other treatments you have or will do. Are you on prescriptions? Do you need lasers, prescriptions or microneedling?
Where and when is your event?
- Chemical peels make your face more sensitive to the sun and even heat. It is advised that you do not get a peel anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months before traveling to a hotter climate or during the summer months. It is also advised that you wear a physical sunscreen every day after your treatment even in the winter months.
How long until your event?
- If this is your first peel it could make things worse for you. Sometimes your skin purges when you introduce new products or treatments. Although there are anticipated reactions to every product or treatment, you simply do not know how your skin will react to them until you have have experienced them. Do you really want to show up to your big event looking like a mess because you got a treatment the week before?
- You may also need a series or multiple series of peels to achieve the goals you have for your skin.
Is a peel the best option for me?
- Chemical peels can reduce or correct a host of skin concerns such as: fine lines, large pores, over production of oil, acne breakouts, discoloration, sun damage and skin laxity, but that doesn’t always mean it is the best treatment for your skin concerns.
- There may also be medical reasons why a peel cannot be performed on your skin.
Looking great for all the major events in your life is always the ultimate goal and the primary focus of our staff at Aqua Medical Spa. There are a lot of factors that go into both, if a peel is for you and which peel or peels will help you achieve your best you. That achievement will take time and dedication. Our esthetician, Cheyann Boyer is medically trained to spend the time with you consulting on any concerns and to tailor an individualized treatment plan for your event. It is best to start planning as soon as possible for your big event. A call to schedule your consultation with Cheyann is the very first step toward your goal. Call 770.452.5667 today!